The existing school building was inaugurated by Dr. De Vos Malan in 1938. Thandokhulu inherited the buildings in the early nineties, when Tafelberg Primary vacated the premises.
The School Governing Body received separate funding from the Western Cape Education Department and Dinaledi Schools for a new administration building and a new science laboratory respectively. It was decided to appoint one contractor to carry out both buildings simultaneously, making the construction phase more cost effective. Accounting needed to remain separate.
The existing school had no prominent entrance and access was gained through a side door, behind a row of ornamental pomegranate trees. The new buildings have been positioned to form a landscaped entrance court facing Main Road. This court will be paved and landscaped in future, once further funds are available. The new administration building forms the head of this future court, and is the visitor’s first point of access to the school. The new science laboratory is positioned to obscure the existing mobile classrooms and has been sited as the start of a future classroom wing. A facebrick arch forms the entrance to the future classrooms, between the new and existing building.
The new buildings are seen as an extension of the existing building family, and not as contrasting structures. Form, colour and materials of the existing buildings are carried through into the new buildings. The facebrick arch details and plinth details resemble the existing building details. Facebrick seconds were sourced by Corobrik as an optimum match – these were also cost effective.
The steel canopy over the entrance to the science laboratory is seen as an indication of a less rigorous following of the existing buildings in the proposed internalised courtyards, which will be formed by the future classroom wing.
School Governing Body assisted by Africon and Department of Transport and Public Works - Education
Laatoe Key Kotze cc
Moroff & Kühne
De Villiers Reid Chiddy and Murray
Milestone Management cc
Slingsby & Gaidien (PTY) LTD Construction